Tulsa Immigration Attorneys Discuss Marriage and Fiance Visa Process

Child Neglect

Marriage and Fiance Visa Process is tricky but paying close attention to the details helps get the process done. Each year the US Department of State provides approximately 30,000 couples with a marriage visa.  These are professionally the K-1 Visa.  K-1, or a marriage visa, is a requirement for couples to marry in which one person is a non-citizen of the United States.  While this seems like a simple task to just get a marriage visa then marry, that is not the case.  However, while the process may seem daunting, we can simplify it for you.

Marriage Visa Eligibility

Marriage and Fiance visas have a certain set of requirements that must be met before it can be approved.  This includes:

  1. Valid Passport Photos and a Valid Passport
  2. Birth Certificates
  3. Death or Divorce Certificates of former spouses
  4. List of addresses the non-citizen has lived since 16 years of age
  5. A medical exam
  6. Proof that both parties intend to enter a legal marriage in the US
  7. Proof of the parties meeting in person within the last 2 years
  8. Showing that there is and will be adequate financial support

Marriage and Fiance Visa Process Explored

Once you gather the documents, the real steps begin.  First you must file with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) a form I-129F.Marriage and Fiance Visa Process   This is a Petition for a Relative of Fiancée.  Next, the USCIS will review a the petition and either approve or deny it.  If approving the Petition, the USCIS will notify the US Embassy in the non-citizen’s country.

At this point, the non-citizen will go to the embassy and apply for the marriage visa.  They must provide the documents in the above list and pay a processing fee.  This will remain valid for four months after completion.

Finally, an American Consular Office will make contact with the non-citizen applicant.  Upon contact the consular officer will set up an interview time.  After the interview, the officer will determine if you can get a marriage visa or not.


Upon receipt of the K-1 visa, you must follow through with a marriage ceremony in the next 90 days.  If a marriage does not occur, then the non-citizen applicant must return to their home country.  After a valid marriage, you can apply for Lawful Permanent Resident status and later full citizenship.

Kania Immigration Attorneys Law Firm

Our clients often have concerns on the length of time a K-1 visa may take or the Marriage and Fiance Visa Process.  In reality, the faster you gather the documents and make proper notification with the embassy and USCIS, then the faster the process.  If you are considering a marriage visa and need legal support call our offices.  Your first consultation is free call 918.743.2233.

Tulsa's Local Immigration Lawyers

Law ScaleAre you looking for Tulsa attorneys who will fight aggressively for you? Our team of immigration attorneys have the experience needed in Oklahoma law to secure the outcome you deserve.

Call us today for a free consultation 918-743-2233 or contact us online.